Re: [Harp-L] Funk Vocab C D Eb E G A C

In a message dated 6/7/2007 10:38:28 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
will_vogtman@xxxxxxxxx writes:

C D Eb E  G A C

I think that this is a C major pentatonic  with an added flat third.
It could also be a C bebop scale with the  4th and 7ths removed.
Whatever you call it, it is highly highly  useful.

I call this "My Girl" riff (C   D,E,G,A,C) with passing tone Eb.

A series of tones IS - what you choose to call them is up to you. Standard
music theory evolution has decided on a common denominator for a lot of tone
series (i.e. pentatonic, locrian, diatonic, chromatic, etc). Feel free to make
up series that sound good to you - take the notes and understand the scale
degrees - then you can translate that tone series into any key. For example,
the  My Girl riff is 1   2,3,5,6,8 (scale degrees).