Re: [Harp-L] Ampeg Jet II setup

I had one of these amps and loved it. However, I found itreacted oddly to my mics. By that I mean that mics that normally were feedback monsters with my other amps (crystal JT30s for example) worked really well with this amp. My Jet2 was from 1996  had that ghostly Ampeg reverb that I really liked and I did notice that playing through the regular input, instead of the "accordian" input produced less feedback (go figure) which surprized me because although I'm not sure about this model, I beleive that typically the second channel on a lot of amps (and the "accordian" channel) have less gain. I could be wrong.
Anyway, I used my JT30 with a crystal element a lot with my Jet 2. I also used a black label CR element in a Shure CR41 and it worked really well too. I have a Harp Commander and used it to kill some of the feedback from time to time.

I swapped 12AU7 into the set up (although I don't remember the tube set up in that amp well enough to remember where in the sequence it went) and it helped tons.

Additional FYI: There have been complaints about rattling and feedback due to the proximity of the speaker to the tubes int the Jet2s (see the Harmony Central.com reviews). I had no such problems caused by the speaker. If you do have this problem check to see if there is a padded bracket that holds the tubes in place.

If you fall in love with the amp I'd suggest a speaker swap. I thought the stock one sucked.

I sold the amp to a jazz guitarist who now swears by it.

I always thought  the old Jets and Reverb O Rockets were great harp amps... but getting those power tubes , especially if you want NOS, is a pain.

-------------- Original message from "Docta Funk" <doctafunk@xxxxxxxxx>: --------------