Re: [Harp-L] Wider gaps?

From: Winslow Yerxa <winslowyerxa@xxxxxxxxx>

The harder the player's customary attack, the wider gaps he or she will
favor, as low-gapped reeds will refuse to speak on a hard attack.

I find the gaps in Sp20s and Lee Oskars out of the box to vary from just right to just a bit too low. I usually have to open up about three or four reeds. I don't overblow and I don't tongue-block and I prefer clean, single-note playing. Messing around with gapping and getting it right for the way I play was the single most useful thing I learned to do with regard to harp maintenance, and that by a long chalk.

Steve

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/trad_irish_harmonica
HEAR my CD clips: http://www.gjk2.com/steveshaw/cd.htm

Win tickets to the sold out Live Earth concert!  http://liveearth.uk.msn.com