[Harp-L] Hohner harmonica keys: low to high

Hi Daniel,

I got your e-mail you sent through our homepage, I thought it would be good
to answer your questions here. I hope I'll tackle all your points.

For diatonic harmonicas, it is easy to answer your question, and your
suppositions are also right, we listed the keys in the catalogue from low to
high:

Low C (Marine Band 12 364, MB 14 365, MB SBS),
Low D,
Low Eb,
Low E,
Low F,
Low F#,
G,
Ab,
A,
Bb,
B,
C,
Db,
D,
Eb,
E,
F,
F#,
G high

Not all 10 hole models are available in all keys, and the available models
in special keys also vary geographically. Consult the distributor in your
country for this information.

The XB-40 is available from Low D to regular Db. Earlier attempts of using
regular D and higher keys were not successful, and the range has been
changed to the above.

Low D,
Low Eb,
Low E,
Low F,
Low F#,
G,
Ab,
A,
Bb,
B,
C,
Db,

You were also right about chromatic harmonicas, standard C is the highest
key. The 12 hole models are available in the following keys:

C Tenor (low)
D (low),
E (low),
F(low),
G,
Ab,
A,
Bb,
B,
C,

The only thing is that one does not call a E chromonica a low harmonica, as
there is no "regular" E chromonica to differentiate from.

BTW, another useful information is that, on a regular C diatonic or 12 hole
chromatic the first blow note is middle C, also called c' or c4. Its
frequency is around 260 Hz (to be specific, 261,626 Hz at A=440Hz). On 4
octave chromatic instruments, this is the C of the second octave.

OK, so far, so good. Now we get to the more complicated bit, the octave
tuned harmonicas. Ho do you define how high or low a harmonica is, if each
note has a high and a low note played unison? I found this text I wrote some
time ago:

A standard C diatonic harmonica starts with c'. c is one octave lower, and
c'' is one octave higher, so that we have the notation explained.
An Auto Valve harmonica has two plates. One in the main tuning, and another
in tuned an octave apart. In the following are, for every key, the two notes
of hole one blow:

"    d d' (normal D + low octave)
"    e e' (normal E + low octave)
"    f f' (normal F + low octave)
"    g g' (normal G + high octave)
"    a a' (normal A + high octave)
"    bb bb' (normal Bb + high octave)
"    c c' (normal C + high octave)

The difference between the Marine Band Octave (Concerto) and Auto Valve Harp
is clearly the presence of valves in the Auto Valve. I wouldn't live without
them. The Marine Band Octave is also only available in C and G.

To e honest, Daniel, I don't know about the sympathetic vibrations. As far
as my experience go, Just Intonation may sound fuller, but not because the
opposing reed is vibrating in sympathy. So I don't believe that you need a
valveless Auto Valve to get the intended effects of the Just Intonation
temperament. On the other hand, I haven't made experiments aimed at this
phenomena, so YMMV. And it is really easy to rip the windsavers of a
harmonica. To glue them back is just a little bit more complicated, but not
too much.

I hope this helps you with your projects.

All the best,
Fernando