[Harp-L] gapping harps out-of-the-box

The question was asked about how people gap their harps. I recently started working on my harps and there has been some experimentation on my part to determine where the gap needed to be set to play best for me. Originally I started by closing the gaps down, but was not getting the results I expected. After seeing Adam Gussow's YouTube video, I tried opening up some gaps and it helped make the 3 draw bend easier to control on some of my harps, particularly the lower key ones. By the way, Adam's method of using a piece of paper to "field gap" a harp works great!

  So my question to you experienced gappers is "can you provide a short summary of how you set the gap for a particular response". Obviously gapping is a complex subject, the proper gap depends on the person, the harp, the type of playing, etc... But what I'm looking for is some general guidelines. For example:
  (1) Small gaps for overblows
  (2) Larger gaps for players with a hard attack
  (3) Gaps to make regular bending easier/smoother?

  Also, are you guys trying to shape your reeds when you gap? Keeping the reed flat to the slot with just the tip turning up above the slot?

  Thanks,
  Jim McBride

The fish are biting.