Re: [Harp-L] Re: Chromatic Harmonica Mikes

Hi Frank -

Lately I've been using a teeny tiny Countryman B6 that I special ordered via Sweetwater. The special order was to have a longer mic cord and, most importantly, reduced sensitivity (-20db). Even with the reduced sensitivity, it is a little to hot (distorts on double-stops before it ever makes it to the preamp if the mic is inside your tightly cupped hands). Unfotunately, they don't make a less sensitive version. I originally tried it at the winter NAMM show and fell in love with the sound.

http://www.countryman.com/store/?catid=4

Since I play guitar and need to pick up the harmonica quickly, I attach the mic directly to the back of the harmonica using a pair of velcro strips (one strip has adhesive on the side that attaches to the harmonica). The mic cord is tiny and is sandwiched between the velcro strips.

I keep the mic pointed away from the harmonica on the bass side so I can either include it in my cup or not. When playing single lines I enclose the mic in the cup and the sound is very close-up, warm, and clear -- and there is no feedback problem since it is so hot. When I'm doing double stops (or more) I move my left hand slightly so the mic is outside the cup -- otherwise it will distort (in this configuration you have to be more careful about feedback).

The mic needs phantom power, and since I play with a volume pedal I plug it into a mic preamp before the volume pedal. This is the best sounding mic I've come across for chromatic (so far).

- Slim.

www.SlideManSlim.com

Cheechmail@xxxxxxx wrote:
I am interested in a mike for a 12 hole up to a 16 hole chromatic. I saw a video of a group that had a clip on mike that clipped under the bottom of the Chromatic harmonica.
I would appreciate any help you could give me.
Frank Tomasulo