RE: [Harp-L] re: crosss harp major key

I use 2nd posiiton major all the time for the country western tunes we play with the Cooper Hill Band. Charlie McCoy sometimes uses country tuned but you can hit a lot of the notes with a regular harp.

1D 2B 2D 3Dbb 3D 4D 5B 6B 6D 7D 8D 8B 9B 10D

I think. It's hard to see the holes when I'm playing. The 6, 7, 8 hole pattern is fun for pretending you're John Popper.

Rainbow Jimmy

If by second position major you mean Mixolydian mode, we players of Irish tunes use that position a lot. A good few jigs, dozens of polkas and even the odd reel such as The Red-haired Boy pan out best in second position. The guitar backers are oblivious to the fact that you may be playing in second position. To them, A Mix may sound just like A major except that they have to have a new chord to accommodate the flattened 7th if it occurs. Such tunes come in useful in medleys of tunes (called sets) as it means that "key-changes," a notable feature of Irish music, can be incorporated. I suppose some of the tunes are not strictly Mixolydian mode as the flattened 7th doesn't occur in the tune. I suppose such tunes are pentatonic. The tune to the song "Dirty Old Town" is pentatonic and can be played, without bending, in 1st, 2nd or 12th positions.

Steve

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/trad_irish_harmonica
HEAR my CD clips: http://www.gjk2.com/steveshaw/cd.htm

Tell MSN about your most memorable emails!  http://www.emailbritain.co.uk/