Re: [Harp-L] To Gear Or Not To Gear

On 6/28/07, Ken Deifik <kenneth.d@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

"...Too many new players get caught up in the gear before they can play much at all."

On 6/28/07, Special20 <special20harp@xxxxxxxxx> responded:
Wow, you must have mystical powers of perception; able to assess a player's
skill level by reading an email at Harp-L.  It's okay for good players to
get gear, but not those who can't "play much at all."  Amazing!  8^)

Even begining players can start experimenting with gear; there is totally
nothing wrong with that. The notion that we need to become virtuosos before
we gear up is utter nonsense. If a player hears a tone he likes from one of
the greats, I think it is a terrific idea to get the same gear.

Look... anybody who ever wanted to play blues harp and tried it even once
leaned quickly that it takes years of work and dedication to sound good. If
that is your point, you are belaboring the obvious. Getting a harp rig does
not make you a better or worse player, but it gives you something to work
with, and if that inspires a new player to practice more, then that is a
wonderful thing.

-Spec20

Look fellas-
I don't really want to hear harp that I consider to be awful any louder than acoustic (60dB?)
that being said, can just agree that a rig is nothing more than a personal PA system and we all know that even the worst of us always manges to get ahold of a mic plugged into a PA system!

I do want to hear bad harp players loud if they are aware they aren't that good, they may want to and eventually will improve. Nothing worse than a GUS WITH HUGE EGO. (GWHE)
---seems like a silly discussion all in all... I've always thought of amplified ("gear" aided) harp was a different instrument than acoustic harp. I have even had someone walk up to me while I was playing with a mic and harp cupped to my face : "what instrument is that that you are playing?"
---no awful electric guitar player should plug into an amp until they're good... RIGHT!

OK, I am ramblimg, see you at SPAH (Society to Prevent Awful Harping)

Michael Peloquin
http://www.harpsax.com
Come check me out on MySpace at http://www.myspace.com/harpsax

PC Magazine?s 2007 editors? choice for best Web mail?award-winning Windows Live Hotmail. http://imagine-windowslive.com/hotmail/?locale=en-us&ocid=TXT_TAGHM_migration_HM_mini_pcmag_0507