[Harp-L] Re: Wider gaps

I set my chromatics up with very wide gaps; playing a Harmonica Concerto is very much a power position and what is very sensitive in a chamber music setting does not work in a hall with 2800 people and a 60 piece orchestra.

You need power and attack, so I set the gaps higher especially in the low register. This makes fast runs harder but if you make them, they end up being louder. Turning the volume up on a mic does not give you the same excitement as playing with power and then having soft nothingness in the high register. The difference in volume in your playing makes the music exciting, i.e., dynamics are very effective but if you can not play loud, they go away.

Harmonically yours,

Robert Bonfiglio
http://www.robertbonfiglio.com