[Harp-L] Plagiarism and Copying Solos

A lot of people seem to support the idea of copying the masters as a form of
tribute.  I definitely think you can learn a lot from imitating your musical
heroes -- it's a great way to practice and improve your skills.  But I think
it's pretty distasteful to copy solos note-for-note in a performance
setting, and it displays very little creativity.  Instead, do what your
heroes did when they originally created those solos.  Study the scales, get
into the groove, and let the music inside of you flow out through the
instrument.  As an audience member, if I want to hear a particular Little
Walter solo performed perfectly, I can just load up that CD when I get home.
My interest in a live performance is to hear music performed live -- and
that always bears at least a hint of spontaneity, even in the greatest
professional orchestras around the world.  That's why they have conductors
instead of metronomes!

Jonathan Metts