[Harp-L] Harmonica Ensembles in America

Hi Everyone,

My name is Darren, I'm a Canadian living in Taiwan and am actually posting this on behalf of one of my Taiwanese harmonicist friends (whose language skill precludes him from posting himself).

As you may or may not know, harmonica ensembles and harmonica orchestras are amazingly popular throughout Asia, and particularly in Taiwan.  My friend , Mr. Lee, is heavily involved in teaching harmonica and promoting harmonica - and in Taiwan that mostly involves teaching ensemble play.

He would like to know if anyone can give him some insight into:

1).  Why harmonica ensembles became marginalized in the West?  [I have a good idea about this, but would appreciate hearing from someone more knowlegeable].

2).  Is it possible or reasonable to promote harmonica ensembles in the West?  (I guess by this he means what are the opportunities for harmonica ensembles in terms of concerts, radio play, etc.)

3).  Is anyone in America trying to promote the harmonica ensemble as a musical art form?  (Is much work being done in teaching harmonica ensemble play, educating people about what harmonica ensembles are, promoting that style of music, etc.)?

Any information that can be provided would be appreciated.

Sincerely,
Darren Haughn

With Windows Live Hotmail, you can personalize your inbox with your favorite color.
www.windowslive-hotmail.com/learnmore/personalize.html?locale=en-us&ocid=TXT_TAGLM_HMWL_reten_addcolor_0607