[Harp-L] Concert revue - Mark Hummel's Blow Out in Orlando

The creation of the Mark Hummel Harmonica Blow Out in Orlando and the concert were full of magic.

The negotiations with Mark and the agency behind this event were done in less than a week. Everyone involved on this level helped move it along - the booking agent, Mark, the Beach Shack owner, etc. (Mark had booked a gig at the Beach Shack for the evening I wished to have the Blow Out. The owner of the Beach Shack has a good relationship with Mark and allowed him to cancel that gig in favor of doing the Blow Out in Orlando).

The venue accepted the proposal after the first meeting. The "crew" (operations manager, banquet manager, assistant managers, hostess, wait staff and parking attendants) began to feel the excitement early on and joined in with the planning and execution.

Everyone who was touched by this project joined in the fun - bank asst. mgr that helped wire the funds for the contract, florist who donated ferns, lights and palm trees to decorate the stage, a few local DJ's who spoke about the show, the OBBS Blues Society who became a sponsor, manager at the Sheraton who helped secure a good room rate for the musicians, repairman for my copy machine who traded his labor for a free ticket, etc.

The enhanced BOSE PAS (enhanced because of the addition of 2 more sub woofers/amp) took the place of the house PA/monitor system. Selling this idea to Mark Hummel, his musicians, Kim Wilson and Charlie Musselwhite was a trip. They reluctantly allowed me to use them as guinea pigs. However, once the evening unfolded, most of them changed their opinion in favor of the BOSE. The stickler was Kim Wilson - even though he finally admitted that the sound wasn't so bad, he still wants a monitor in his face for comfort.

Otherwise, the system did as promised. It filled the room with crystal clear sound that was not too loud to those sitting right in front of the stage and was perfectly balanced right to the back where the CD sale table was set up. The only time the system was stressed was during Charlie's set. He puts out so much energy that the band cranked up, pushing the volume to ...almost... too loud at times.

As to the performance - well, all the musicians settled in and enjoyed themselves, and it translated into magic for the audience. Mark's Blues Survivors and special guest Rusty Zinn were true warriors, working for almost 2 straight hours as the main performers each played a set before taking a 20 minute break. The encore was one 20 minute song with all the headliners (and ME) joining in. Instead of everyone playing at the same time, the solos were nicely handed around. There was a great head-to-head with Charlie and Kim going at it together. Charlie's expressive eyebrows showed that he was truly amused during this segment.

The audience was a great mix of harmonica players, blues and blues/biker types, up scale affluent couples, a few older ladies and men - this was a very special crowd that became one through the experience. EVERYONE left with a big smile on their face and without their ears ringing. This included all the musicians who truly enjoyed the experience from all aspects.

The other magical connection was Brian Purdy, Charlie Musselwhite and a newly sold HarpGear amplifier.

>From the artists to the audience, the hostesses and wait staff, right down to the bus boys and parking valets - a splendid time was had by all.

The Iceman