[Harp-L] Re. vibrato

Jimmy,

the difference between vibrato and tremolo was often discussed
on the list over the years and it´s easy to forget it. I helped
myself by a mnemonic aid starting with the pitch difference
of the double Cs of C-tuned chromatics. When you blow both Cs
simultaneously you hear a single note exceptionally only.

In almost all cases you hear a "suspension" (I hope it´s the
correct English term). At a small pitch difference the divergence
is long-wavy and becomes shorter the more the pitches deviate.
Finally, you get a tremolo with two clearly distinguishable notes.

The rest is easy. A vibrato is then a volume changing.
But in case you play a tremolo with a vibrato you can forget
what is what.

Siegfried