[Harp-L] Delay

By the time I was seventeen (20 years ago) I was pretty well versed in the traditional harp heroes.  That year I discovered Delay and loved him.  Although there were guys who were more technically advanced (imo), there was nobody with such a unique style, so far away from traditional harp but yet with so much authenticity.  His was definitely still blues harp because he really felt it.  This freed me up bigtime.  I definitely see him as a major influence.

  He was scheduled to play a concert in my college town, but cancelled.  Then 5 years ago I was visiting a friend in Oregon and made her find me a Delay show.  Cancelled.  The next day we went to a fair where I saw both Delay and Salgado (and bumped into Mark Hummel, vacationing with a bowler hat).  I gave Delay my CD and he was very excited and said, "That stealing licks thing goes both ways, you know!"  He really took a moment to connect with me on a personal level.

  My Oregon friend actually called me with the news, which I had already received thru harp l.  She is coming to my wedding and revealed to me Paul and her had agreed to tape a "happy marriage" song for me and my bride, which will not come to pass now, but the thought was great, especially considering he probably had no idea who I was.

  Anyway, we've really lost one of the best of our time. RIP
  Michael Rubin
  Michaelrubinharmonica.com