Re: [Harp-L] Vibrato part II

slipper post got away too soon -- 2nd graph continues...

> The term vibrato is frequently confused with tremolo.  It's like snow
> blower. Everybody talks about them but they are really snow THROWERs -- whether
> they have a paddle wheel or an auger to toss out the snow. If they were really
> blowers, they wound in effect be giant fans
>
> Just as the other kinds of vibrato on the harmonica are equally suspect:
> diaphragm vs. throat (is there really a difference? Sure there is a difference.
> But they are both tremolo. And are they more likely tremolo instead? Same
> with the "cough vibrato," it is more than likely a tremolo.

On the guitar, think of a note sounded repeatedly in order to add to the
sustain.

Singers use real vibrato; harmonica players performing "without bends" almost
always use tremolo.

Robert Bonfiglio did indeed use the term "hand vibrato" during his seminar at
the Grand Canyon. But that is because "hand flapping" has always been called
"hand vibrato" -- it's an idiomatic expression.

The harmonica's history is full of misconceptions, which have proved later to
be wrong, and largely built on ignorance. Once musicians started playing the
harmonica, some of the myths have been cleared up.:-) :-)

Dr. Hank Bahnson demonstrated with a sonogram video (on Howard Levy's
Homespun video) what was really going on in the harmonica player's throat at the base
of his tongue which caused the bending. The removal of the harmonica covers
and stopping the blow reed on a draw bend demonstrated how the harmonica was
able to bend.

The use of the Circle of Fifths to explain positions on the harmonica is
another. Before that happened (date)? Everybody agreed on 1st, 2nd and 3rd
positions but had a different idea about names and locations of the others -- each
with no rime or reason.

Of course, all this confusion may come back to that old bugaboo "reading
music." If harmonica players could read music they might be familiar (accurately
aware) of musical terms and some of this confusion would be cleared up. Or
maybe start another argument about the "real" vibrato and the fake vibrato. -)
:-) :-)

(I can hear it all now: What do you mean, read MUSIC; tab is good enough for
me: I don't need any freaken music reading, it only interferes with my
playing. Besides, it burned my lips to read this! Are you saying that if you don't
read music, you're not a real musician?) :-) :-)

Phil Lloyd
"I never met a musician who said he regretted learning to read music. It may
not make you a better musician but it gives you map to where you're going and
where you've been."