RE: [Harp-L] Paul DeLay

Hi Roscoe,
           I think it's awfully hard today to create something that isn't to
some extent derivative over three chords, but there is definitely a
difference between slavish imitation, and using the musical vocabulary of
the past, blues harp greats to create your own musical statements. Guys like
Rick Estrin, Kim Wilson, Steve Guyger, and Dave Waldman are not slavish
imitators or clones of Rice Miller and Little Walter. Yes, I agree there are
a heck of a lot of good and way too many not so good blues harmonica players
out there who do sound like clones. Many of them are younger players who are
still learning what the blues are all about. Even many of the greatest past
masters imitated John Lee Williamson to a large extent when the Chicago harp
sound was being evolved. Both Walters, Snooky Pryor, and Junior Wells come
to mind just to name a few of the better known players who first imitated
Sonny Boy before they developed their own very distinctive styles(and even
then you still heard a little Sonny Boy pop up in their playing from time to
time).

           I think Paul Delay's approach to chromatic and diatonic is what
all harmonica players, and players of other musical instruments need more
of, and I would not just single out blues harmonica players, nor would I
"pigeon hole" Paul  as strictly a blues harmonica player. I think he could
play any style on the chom if he wanted to. Many of the songs he wrote I
would not consider to be strictly 12 bar blues. Like all the other greats he
leaves an indelible mark, and an excellence that All musicians should aspire
to.        My best,
                                                Allen