[Harp-L] Re: cornball harp, but what kind of harp or harp device?

Come on, guys and gals. Anyone familiar with the 'Cats' arrangement of the classic Galloping Comedians should recognize this is not even close to their's! Too much playing around (I'm not referring to the visuals), and too many "musical" errors. Speaking as a former member with Jerry and Al, I know they are turning over in their "sleep" at the moment, wondering how they could be put in the same class as these buffoons.

No one appreciates true comedy more than I, in the proper context, but
to have so many great harmonica players thinking this could be the soundtrack of the originals really makes me wonder.

As a bass harmonica player, I recognized immediately the errors in both chord and bass. Specifically, the bass frequently switches in error from root and 5th, to 5th and root, placing the wrong note with the chord structure - unforgivable. And many similar goofs, such as using 2nds, 3rds and 7ths improperly making for a lack of musicality.

To imply that Don Les and Al Fiore could have been guilty of such is preposterous!

Finally, this particular "arrangement" is much longer than any I have heard by any non-Harmonicat group, with extended interlude and ending unlike any done by The Harmonicats, or similar group intending to copy the originals.

Sorry guys. Not putting down the players who did the soundtrack for the subject video, but merely trying to protect the memory of the originals.

Best,
Danny

BassHarp
PO Box 5061