Re: [Harp-L] cornball harp, but what kind of harp or harp device?

On Mar 12, 2007, at 5:24 PM, John Kerkhoven wrote:

An old, cornball harp-comedy clip where the actors are certainly not playing
the music.

No, they're all playing brushes. The one on your right is playing the bottom of a long bristled floor brush as used in a mill where small particles needed to be swept cleanly.

The 'Lead' player in the middle is playing a 'Butch' brush. These were commonly used in pairs to brush short hair. Marines used to use them on their 'flat tops'.

The one on your left is playing a 'foxtail' or 'Bench' brush. These are commony used in a wood shop to sweep off the work bench of planeings and chips.

But what are the two guys on the outside playing (or pretending to play)?
Are these harmonicas with some sort of attachment to project the sound?

No, the sound is 'pumped in'. At first, I thought it was Jerry Murad and the Harmonicats. The following items would be correct:
The curvature of the nose, the almond eyes with their distinctive slant, the droopy eye lids, the wide upper lip, the way he holds his brush. The way he juts his face forward, The way he keeps checking the other players. His general posture.

BUT, the picture is so poor that while it may be made to 'look' like 28, It might even BE 1928, and that would have made Jerry only 8. I do remember, however, as a child, that early TV picture quality in the mid 40s was quite poor, so it could BE.

Couldn't get a good enough look at the guy on the left but the general sizes would match up. Only thing I saw unusual was that the bass (Foxtail) and chord (Floor brush) were reversed.

smokey-joe / So. Florida

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xS5cQSZn8mQ

John
Montreal