I have friends ordering SM57, though I constantly tell them that 545 option is better because of the switch and dual impendance option. Well, people  continue to order SM57 - maybe black color looks better on stage doesn't produce any blicks:)

Best,

Alex

Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2007 07:53:10 -0500
From: "Bill Hines" <billhines4@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Harp-L] Jonesin for another mike
To: "'harp-l'" <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
>If it's a light mic you want, don't go with the Butterfield-type 545!
>Those are real heavy, with that pistol grip and all.
8<
>Bill Hines

A good proportion of 545 and PE54 mics don't have the large pistol grip.
Personally I find my US made 545 sounds exactly the same as a brand new
545SD Unidyne III straight off the music shop shelf.
  I've had two pro players with decades of experience TRYING to hear the
differences, and completely failed.
  It's a great mic, and when someone wanting a hot mic with a nice tone
and distortion asks for a recommendation, I point them to the 545 because
it's hot, it's got a great tone, it's versatile, and most importantly
it's available brand new from any music store that stocks Shure products.
  The decent Astatic and Shure Bullet mics are no longer something you
can buy from a regular music shop - the Shure 520DX and current Hohner
Blues Blaster don't hold a candle to their predecessors.
  Although I suggest, to players who are serious about their rig, to
approach a harp mic tech, or what they need to build one, but for many,
they're just not interested in the extra hassle/cost.
The modern Shure 545 seems to be a very good choice to fill that role
right now.
-- G.
http://www.angelfire.com/music/harmonica/shure545.html