Re: [Harp-L] playing music and communication

I don't think it requires that much communication to play blues --
you
should be able to fit in with any ensemble.

You really want to make a statement like that? The way you fit in is by communicating, even if it's the receptive kind of just listening before you play. Not communicating to me is the same thing as not listening.

Even in blues, there are enough different substyles, and enough
individual approaches, that you have to listen and figure out what's
going on. You can't just go on blues autopilot and expect that much
good music will happen.

That didn't come out right, but I think you made the point I was trying to make -- you have to communicate with the musicians you are playing with, but i don't think it requires a vast amount of ensemble playing with the same people. You should have the technical and emotional skills to be able to know what notes fit where and how to make the whole thing work as a song. If you sit back while someone takes a solo, you aren't even trying. I used to play with another guitar player (I'm a guitarist), but the solos that sounded best were the ones that had backing, not the ones where he would sit out to let my solo come through. I felt that it was stronger music with the fullness of the intermingling instruments.

Tom