[Harp-L] sattelite tv and ska

Found a blues channel on the sattelite tv--plays stuff like Rod Piazza and Jimmy Rogers. Nice. However, the reggae channel right next to it is even cooler. After listening all day to the Skatellites and all the cool 60s ska and the 70s roots I wondered why there aren't more reggae harp players. So I got out my harps. The ska is mostly 2nd position--you can play a lot of it with major pantatonic scales. Mostly it's easy but they like to play two chord riffs like A and G which means I have to really practice my 3bb. If you give the 2bb and the 3bb a nice vibrato (I'm working on this--it's hard) it gives the music an urgency that's cool and different from how the horns play it.The high notes all work perfect. Use a metronome because the beat is way more important than the notes. This is real fun to practice amplified.

Next I'm going to start working a little on the 70s Roots which means working on my 3rd and 4th positions.

So when you've got your D harp in 2nd position and you know you need to practice arpegiating the G chord, now you have a good reason. Ska!

Rainbow Jimmy
http://www.spaceanimals.com
http://www.soundclick.com/theelectricstarlightspaceanimals.htm