[Harp-L] P.A. question

I'm trying to use a Dell laptop as an audio source. (not my idea) I've got it plugged in via the headphone out of the Dell into a Mackie 1402 using the tape inputs. I'm not terrifically pleased with the result. I've already tried setting the gain on the Dell as low as it will got but it's still pretty tinny sounding. My next try will involve trying to dump the source into one of the real stereo input channels so I can EQ the signal somewhat. If anyone has any insights into this problem drop me a line off list. I will greatly appreciate any suggestions people may have. fjm