Having said that, I play plenty with people that don't know what they're playing in those terms, not the chord, scale, interval or form. But they kick royal booty and I'm honored and humbled by their musicality. So theory does not define a good musician. But it can be a helpful tool.

I'm glad if anything I said helps at all in approaching the tune. Feel free to ask something if you think I might be able to help somehow as I like to figure things like that out. No guarantees on correctness, however. But I am in the ballpark enough such that its made it useful to me in practical real-life terms so I think I'm probably not just flailing wildly in the dark.

Vince

On Mar 21, 2007, at 1:23 PM, Haka Harri wrote:

Vince,

Your knowledge of musical theory is convincing. I understood 30 % of what you said but I got a clue of what that means as far as Roadhouse Blues goes.

Harri

-----Alkuperäinen viesti-----
Lähettäjä: Vince Meghrouni [mailto:Foomcorp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Lähetetty: 21. maaliskuuta 2007 21:54
Vastaanottaja: Haka Harri
Kopio: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Aihe: Re: [Harp-L] Re: not 12 bar / Roadhouse Blues

For all but verses 2 and 3 it's a one chord (E7) vamp, including the first verse, the guitar solo and Mr. Mojo Risin's poetic g extemporizing.

Verse 2 is a 24 bar blues with a somewhat eccentric form (vs. a
simple doubling the measures in a conventional blues).

12 bars E7  (tonic)
6   bars   A7  (sub-dominant, i.e., the IV chord)
1   bar   B7  (dominant, i.e., the V chord)
1/2   bar   C& (tritone substitution for the ii chord, made into a
dominant chord as is frequently the case in minor blues)
1/2 bar  B7 (dominant, i.e., the V chord)
4   bars E7 (tonic)

Verse 3 is as as verse two except it ends on beat one just after the
last B7 in the form.