[Harp-L] Re: In ear monitors with harp

Hurricane sez :

I have never used them but , I can dig them as a " best possible " solution .

I have some really wild Koss & Marantz eltrostatic head phones and love the isoilation , and purity of signal , but this isn't a perfect world and I can't use the very best in sonic reproducing earphone gear on stage because of the power amp to run them , the headphone cable bla bla bla  ..

Since the mid 70's " Hot Spots " monitors with a couple 4 inch full range speakers in them and their own amp were the ruling stage monitor for small and medium sized venues , I love then and made my own type and use a separate amp for them thats low powered but adequate when the " Hot Spot " next to you are really close , -- not one harp feed back issue etceteras .

Personal observations say on a big stage and in a situation when you have really a lot of

- -ROOM TO MOVE - -

I would have to say that I would op for the earphone systems hands down , for a harp playing mad man who just might just jump off the stage and them run around the crowd and hop on top of a bar and walk it with a remote mike system ( I have ) , I can't see any other system work better than a pair of those little suckers .

Disclaimer :

With these PROPERLY USE the above has got to be true .

For me - -  I love head phones !

Talk about accurate sound , nothing tops them  ,

- -Their low mass ! - -

and that's that when it comes to not coloring a Sound with the materials that reproduce it , like as in mylar verses paper woofers and such . The weakest link in the sound chain is and will be always " paper speakers ( and other similar materials of a relative mass compared to " sound  ) " not till the digital revolution came along did my electrostatic headphones really do justice to themselves being that even the best " Empire " transcription belt drive turntables can not rival digital clarity of CDs ( and - - respectfully --I don't even want to hear from you LP recored analog and direct disc guys please :) , yep no speakers in the world ( except the BIG elecrostat speakers )  can come close to the clean sound of a mylar headphone be it electrostatically driven or electromechanically .

Those Bose Personal P.A. appeal to me , but $ wise --

I just got a GEM Sound P.A. amp tops out at 4ohms a 500 watts a channel , not to heavy a lift for the back either for $149.00 via Musiciansfriend free shipping no tax with an extended 2 year warranty ( get them while the last )to back up a sick Peavey CS400 in the shop .

It with a small 70 watt stereo amp for my monitors an I get it right for any small to moderate room venue for my monitor .

I went to a swap meet and got 2 enclosures that house a piezo horn and a 8 inch full range JBL ( I put the piezos & JBL in them )for my monitors and it was cheap and they look like I purchased them in a ligit music store and sound  great . I got an other enclose with a pair of 10" woofers with a pair of piezo speakers in them  , these type enclosures you might see in the back of a car or small pickup truck pumping out music from a stereo car amp , they have a handle on them and are easy to pick up and move around and again for small and medium venues the work great for the P.A. part .

For the big rooms I use the above setup as monitors and have another " big set of folded horn cabs "  & Altec horns .

Lots of ways to skin the ole cat and the all work , many good posts on this .

The Bose system is more than just cool - - maybe some day I get one of dem :)

Sincerely :

Hurricane Ramon

Aka :

Party_Man1@xxxxxxxxxx