Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Re: William Clarke's SM-57 mic on eBay

Pete responds to MNessmith responding to Zig:

"I bought most of Wm. Clarkes' mics a year after he passed, (from  Willy) I
was in his house, and his music room, I never saw a SM  57 mic.  Pete"

"Message: 13
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 15:17:22 -0400
From: "M.  N." <mnessmith@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Harp-L] Re: William  Clarke's SM-57 mic on eBay

"Zig wrote:
"William Clarke's daughter is selling his main  microphone on ebay this week.
<snip> Here's the link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=009&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%
3AIT&viewitem=&item=190092898991&rd=1&rd=1"

====================

>From the auction page: "William Clarke played Harmonica  and sang through
this mic. He used one mic. and this is the mic.  <snip> this is 'THE MIC'
that the master himself used." Does  this strike anyone else as odd? I never
saw William live, but I've  seen countless pics of him and I've never seen
him playing an  SM57.
MN"

....I find this an interesting thread.  I went to the site..read  the
description then the questions and answers by the seller who  claims to be his
daughter (and also has William Clarke CD's for sale).

Then read some of the Seller's feedback of the many other  William Clarke
CD's sold before this.   Halfway down one of the  pages (No.5, I believe)...a
buyer referred to the seller as "James".   Perhaps I misunderstood, read it wrong
and am being far too  suspicious...but has anyone asked for proof (especially
the person  offering $499 for the mic so far)...that this really IS his
daughter ....photographic or otherwise?

 In fairness to the Seller, she is offering notarization for the  mic...but
...can that be done before the bidding closes?

There's another thread on Slidemeister about a current  Australian EBay
chromatic seller..charging at least double what the  instruments can be bought for
here...then responding very nastily when the  listowner thoughtfully suggested
that his excruciatingly high prices were  the reason for the no-bids.  This
is EBay, where anyone can say  anything, as long as they put in "as-is" and
describe an item  correctly.    It's a case of Caveat Emptor.  Another  poster
suggested that no matter how much many of us wish to protect other  Buyers, it
isn't our place, and there really isn't any way we can  anyway.  Kind of a
shame, that.

Is a mic worth $499 (so far)?  It's described as "scuffed" and  having been
used "by the master himself"   Was it?  Was it  onstage or in his living room,
or his car?  Does it matter to someone  willing to shell out $499 for a Shure
SM-57?

Elizabeth