Re: [Harp-L] Need to buy a tuner (was New Hering Diatonic Harp?)

On Mar 27, 2007, at 9:44 AM, Tim Moyer wrote:

Joe Leone wrote:
I have a 16 year old Seiko st1000. $95 samoleons. I think it's
too sensitive.  Find something that has a 'damper' in it (in
much the same way that a drug scale has a damper to keep it
from swinging wildly).

I have a Korg OT-12 that has an analog needle, and some interesting features like a tone generator and a "sound bacK" feature that will detect the closest incoming note and play it back in perfect pitch. Of course, it's calibration is adjustable, and the scale is graduated in both Hz and cents.

I have a tone generator too but it's fixed to whatever scale (440, 441, etc) you set it to. The calibration is adjustable and it does read in Herzogs & centitones, BUT there's no way to dampen it. Pretty lame for a 100 dollar unit.

I have an annoyingly deep monotone pulsating voice with a built in quaver and have trouble giving a steady tone anyway, so I could use the extra help. In extreme cases, I have used a 'fish filter' pump with a reversible valve set up. Several people have told me a fish pump won't give out enough to activate harmonica reeds. Well, it will if it's originally from 107 gal tank.

  But to Smo's point above, it has
a "fast/medium/slow" response setting that can help keep it from
bouncing all over the place.

One thing I always do it set the note I'm looking for (rather than
letting it auto-detect), and also to use the contact mic to prevent
spurious sounds from interfering with the response.

I'm not a precise tuner like those on this list who KNOW. I set an 'Olds 442', and go with that till the needle is centered. I am not so high up the food chain that a little bit this way or that would matter. He!!, it wouldn't matter whether I tuned at all. :)

jJo-Zeppi

-tim