[Harp-L] Live Music Scene, R.I.P. - Sorry, it's a long rant

Gentlemen! (and dames, too!)

Wow, you have touched on one of my favorite subjects, i.e., "What the hell happened to live music" in the U.S., and a good chunk of the world?
Some very good observations. It's even more distressing, as you can imagine, for some, who from a young age have dedicated their entire life to being a professional musician, and growing up around role models who had purchased real estate and put children through college being the best they could be. Not stars, mind you, just solid, reliable musicians. Yes, I'm sorry to say, those days are gone. As some of you may know, I've had the opportunity to work with some of the finest musicians in my area, and even some international names. It pains me to say that almost all of those people, even the most optimistic, are at wit's end and ready to throw the towel in. There has been a very large shift in the way people participate with music and here are some observations:

1 - What we remember as the "Golden Age" of live music was the result of a combination of things: The fact that nobody could hear music from the beginning of time until the advent of the phonograph made any musician an asset. One that could play reasonably well was likely the star of his or her neighborhood or small town, and one that showed exceptional talent was touted around the world, destined for stardom. After the industrial revolution, especially after the two World Wars, this country saw unprecedented prosperity and wealth. There was such a demand for live music, guys like Stan Getz at the age of 14 could drop out of high school, with substandard chops, and make enough money to comfortably support his ENTIRE FAMILY playing for a jazz orchestra. A lucky break for him, he was too young too draft and they needed to fill a seat. He learned, though! Now imagine that environment, where the radio had just come along, and the only way you were going to hear music was if someone played it live! Cats could sit in a bar or union hall and just wait for the work to roll in! What treasures we were! Now segue to today. Because of that history, lore, tradition and not to mention the untold fortune and fame of some rock and pop acts in the 70's, 80's and early 90's, some people got the idea in their heads that they could defy the odds and make it big. Unfortunately, as technology progressed, and populations skyrocketed, the odds of making in the "Musical Lottery" as some like to call it, are extremely poor. Today, an entire symphony can play a complicated, profound piece of music, all from a computer, and it sounds REAL. Few of us at first listen would think twice. (Still not a great sax or harmonica, but they are close...) EVERYWHERE we go, there is music playing. From our car to the elevator to the office to the bathroom, we get attacked with The Carpenters, Miles Davis and drum machines. As Gerry Mulligan once put it, "Today, music is ubiquitous, it is worthless".. at best, we enjoy it, mostly we ignore it.

2 - Another thing that people touched on is interesting... We are a more sober society. Gone are the lyrics about being careful driving "because I had too much to drink" (Tower or Power, Bump City). We were high as a kite for years, and we needed a band to create a soundtrack for us! Smoking, drink, other fun stuff... Live musicians still had control, until the D.J.'s came along... and that's when we found out that loaded people don't really care where the musical tapestry is coming from! I have had the misfortune to tour the world performing with a D.J. who thought he would deepen the experience by hiring a sax and harmonica player to accompany his computer... What difference did it make to 5,000 kids on Ecstasy? Not enough, I'm afraid. Even the Hippies at Jam Band concerts would not be able to endure the usually substandard music without being stoned out of their gourds. Almost every live music explosion in this country has been based around drugs and alcohol, and other vice... Except Church, where the most live music is being played, at least on Sunday! AAAmen!

3 - We are a more diverse country. Whereas that could work as an advantage, (Charlie Parker playing barmitzvas, A mandolin player doing an Italian wedding), I don't know how to play Indian music, or middle eastern music, or Chinese instruments, and none of those guys are asking me to learn. But the few talented Sitar or Erhu players I know are working every day and getting paid well. Their people appreciate the music, even if it's paying homage to their culture, they feel an obligation to support it. How can we compete with that? That's why the world music market is one of the strongest today, because it's being sold as culture, not music. Blues got some mileage out of that, but it got harder as we honkies took that scene over... ooops! sorry...

4 - I don't care what anybody says - I have talked to enough people, and I focus on one topic: "Where's the MONEY COMING FROM?"... I'm sorry to inform any of you who didn't know this, but 95% of all of the musicians out there, including everyone on this list, is not making a living from playing live music. We subsidize ourselves, our wives subsidize us. We may have had a smart idea or lucky break in music that got us a chuck of cash at one time, but that is subsidizing our current endeavors, and quickly running out. The Sponsor or "Patron" system is very alive and well today, and usually when you see one of your favorite Jazz or Classical players performing at a local theatre, that show has been sponsored, because even a full house won't cover the costs nowadays. The money has to come from somewhere, and it is usually not the consuming public that pays the bill. Often it's directly from the artist. OUCH!

As of recently, I have done more gigs with an iPod than I would like to admit. Then I started getting gigs from Casual Bands, playing in country clubs, with them using iPods and backing tracks! Even if they have a band, they use them and make the band play along. That way they don't have to rehearse or use charts. We're like a D.J. Cyborg. And you know what? Almost nobody notices! They are clueless. Have they been dummied down? Lack of music education in public schools? T.V. overload? Does it matter? They really don't care! Play on!

So, the live music scene as anyone over the age of 30 had known it is gone, I'm afraid. It's been replaced by Stereos, then D.J.'s, then Karaoke, then a bunch of mediocre musicians with a laptop computer. After all is said and done, some people are just more talented than others at getting people to leave their massive entertainment zone they call their living room, endure traffic and weather to go to a smokeless bar with booze that state driving laws prohibit them from indulging in, to listen to a live band that may sound good, or may just really sound bad. In the Bay Area alone, there are about 500 activities that a person could go out and engage in, and alot of them are a much safer bet than live music.

But we keep plugging away...

Damien Masterson http://www.damienmasterson.com or enter my name in any search engine http://www.myspace.com/damienmastersonmusic http://cdbaby.com/all/damienzm 415 305 7138 dzm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Damien Endorses Hohner Harmonicas and Audix Microphones

I have been watching the music scene since about 1959. Yes, you are
correct. One could actually write an entire book on the subject but
here are a few points:
1.... lowering of the permissible bac level to .08
2.... the subsequent over zealous enforcing of same.
3.... rents raising faster than the national inflation rate forcing
some clubs to close.
4.... people having less disposable income
5.... prices going up while wages are coming down
6.... too much vandalism and other crimes around the clubs
7.... bigger TVs
8.... gas & lodging prices putting a strain on traveling bands
9.... musicians unwillingness to work for less than $100.oo a night
10.. smoking restrictions (not a problem in the south, but 'could'
matter up north.
There are about a zillion more, but this will start ya'all