Re: [Harp-L] Question on Hohner 16 Hole Chromatics

Chromatic harmonica customizer Dick Gardner has related that many of
his customers prefer the covers on the regular 280; they claim that
this cover shape projects the sound better.

The other notable difference between the 280 and the Super is the
silver plating on the Super mouthpiece. The late Doug Tate used to
claim that silver would glide better in the mouth.

The ability to do "wah wah" is a function of using the hands to enclose
the back of the instrument - or a portion thereof) to shape tone.
Unless you have huge hands, you're not going to be able to enclose the
entire back opening of any 16-hole standard chromatic. Instead you have
to concentrate on enclosing the portion that will give you the most
effect. For that reason I doubt that there's much difference between
the two types of cover, though I haven't experimented specifically with
this. The no-longer-manufactured CBH 2016 model does allow you to cup
specific channels for each hole on the harmonica.

Perhaps Fernando or someone more knowledgeable can comment on whether
the guts - reedplates and comb - are any different between the 280 and
the Super 64. I suspect that they're the same but don't know this for a
fact.

Winslow