Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Question on Hohner 16 Hole Chromatics

Zack:  Winslow's response covers a lot of it:

"Chromatic harmonica customizer Dick Gardner has related that many  of
his customers prefer the covers on the regular 280; they claim  that
this cover shape projects the sound better.

The other  notable difference between the 280 and the Super is the
silver plating  on the Super mouthpiece. The late Doug Tate used to
claim that silver  would glide better in the mouth.

The ability to do "wah wah" is a  function of using the hands to enclose
the back of the instrument - or  a portion thereof) to shape tone.
Unless you have huge hands, you're  not going to be able to enclose the
entire back opening of any 16-hole  standard chromatic. Instead you have
to concentrate on enclosing the  portion that will give you the most
effect. For that reason I doubt  that there's much difference between
the two types of cover, though I  haven't experimented specifically with
this. The no-longer-manufactured  CBH 2016 model does allow you to cup
specific channels for each hole on  the harmonica.

Perhaps Fernando or someone more knowledgeable can  comment on whether
the guts - reedplates and comb - are any different  between the 280 and
the Super 64. I suspect that they're the same but  don't know this for a
fact.

Winslow

"Zack <zack.pomerleau@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I am  looking to purchase one, and once is the 280, and one is the
> Super  64. Can anyone tell me if one rivals the other. I know the
>  Super
> has an enclosed back. Can you tell me if one has better tone  or one
> is
> better in response? And how is the slide?  Wah-Wah capabilities, etc.
> Thank you for your help!
>

>    Sincerely,
>    Zack."

......I have several 280's (bought used)...one in absolutely pristine
condition (unplayed by its previous owner) I use as my  'practice' 16 hole harp
because I paid so little for it (with an excellent  slide)....and my main beloved
Super 64 (I've bought others since  then).  Completely agree with Mr. Tate's
take on the mouthpiece of  the Super 64...it's smooth, silky....very much
easier to play for me (I'm  basically a dry player).

 Overall the tone of my Super 64 is hands-down much richer  than the
280....there is something far superior in the "bell-like"  quality to the sound,
compared to the 280,  I have no idea why  that would be.  Perhaps the cover plates
have something to do  with it?  The slide is perfect as well..have had it now
for 3 years,  and had it overhauled at SPAH in August, 2006 by Sissy Jones of
Hohner just for one reed and a couple of windsavers (due to someone else's
overzealousness in gapping)

 I consider it a superb chromatic.  If I had the  wherewithal, I might try
the Super 64X but have no idea what distinguishes  it from the Super 64 for the
extra cost.  I wouldn't buy a 280 new at  today's prices, since a Super 64 can
be had for close to the same  price...but would definitely look for a used
280 in "as new"  condition....people at times purchase them, or get as
gifts....only to  realize the instrument is just too big for them.  The Super 64  gets
my vote to buy as new.

Elizabeth