[Harp-L] Re: Harp Flashing- was fav key

Chris Mastakas wrote:

"I just can't put my finger on to as why I hesitate to pull my harp out. I am a much better player than I was years ago, and have many more ideas and songs to that I can entertain with. But i just don't pull my harp out of my pocket like I use to."

Bob sez:

Don't get me wrong. It's not that I "don't hesitate" to "pull my harp out". I still hesitate,,and more so as time goes on, since I'm not aiming to annoy, but to please. I think I've simply learned where and when it can be a positive, and appropriate, rather than a "reason to call security",,,

A quick assessment does the trick, and the willingness to act like a kid again, or a "stand-up comedian". PLUS, the realization that in this age of tension you could cut with a knife, most people are looking for a reason to laugh a little, or to be entertained. Sure,,it's "uninvited", but you have to ASSESS the situation, take a CHANCE, and make sure your chops are good. I usually start with quick slide from 3draw to 4-hole draw, draw bend, brief 3-draw bend to a 2 hole draw with schmoozy vibrato. It's your standard blues lick.

I assume it also depends on where you live, to some extent, whether the local populous has a sense of humor,,or not. It may also help to "break the ice" first, so to speak, with some comment apropo to the moment, like "well,,when things like this happen (a long line at the bank?) I just take out my harmonica,,". I did this the other night around 11:30PM at a Ralph's, when this young Asian lady, first in line, had gotten out ALL of her coupons,,taking a good ten minutes extra having the ONLY checker occupied, with five or six people in line behind me.

Everyone enjoyed the show, though admittedly they were what one might call a "captive audience". But the set-up was ideal. People ready to kill, the silence deadening, and one guy willing to bring in an element of comedy to lighten up the place.

The element of surprise also has to be taken into account. Much of the time, when I do this type of spontaneous entertainment, I'm dressed well, with a white shirt and tie. It's one of the last things anyone would expect, I think, coming from me, who looks like any 57 year old executive businessman with a goofy grin on his face, wearing "blueblockers",,

http://www.photoworkshop.com/photoworkshop/img.phtml?iid=22248

(by the way, for those on the group with fair skin, or blue eyes,,)

http://www.mdsupport.org/library/hazard.html

or a shorter article,,

http://www.mdsupport.org/library/blulight.html