Re: [Harp-L] ....meditations on the Bb diatonic

John writes:

"Again yes.
A tune will sound VERY different depending on the key it is played in.
I know that sounds obvious.

But the great classical composers knew a thing or two about keys.â For example, Ludwig van Beethoven's Symphony No. 5 in C Minor Op. 67  (for example) would sound very different if played in any other key.

Best wishes,
John Walden
London
England"

Bob responds:

I've noticed this principle, and used it in my playing at times. Sometimes a tune can be played at, say, half-speed, and/or a lower key, and sound terrifically more "down and dirty", in a "bluesier" sort of way.

But I wouldn't do that with Beethoven, granted, out of respect for old Ludwig. It just wouldn't be right.

But I like trying it. Frequently I find that the world is in too much of a hurry to say too much in too short a time,,so I "decompress" it a bit, musically speaking. It's not as much in what's being said, as in how what's being said is being said, you see.

Bob