Fwd: Re: [Harp-L] ART Tube MP for PA re-send

--- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Tim Moyer" <wmharps@...>

John K. wrote:
> My 2 cents on the Tube MP for PA.  I haven't tried it in awhile
> because I ruled it out for that purpose some time ago -- seemed
> too clean even though it has a tube in there.  I think it warms
> things up, but it is clean -- designed for recording even vocals
> I think.

Excuse my ignorance here: I don't own an ART MP, but I do use tube
preamps into solid state amplifiers pretty much exclusively, though
I don't use traditional "blues harp" mics, and am not necessarily
going for that "Chicago sound".  But doesn't the MP have adjustable
input and output levels that would essentially let you overdrive (or
NOT overdrive) the unit, to adjust for the amount of tube warmth or
compression or distortion you want?  I know some of ART's other
units, like the TPSII (a rack unit) and the Studio V3, have a
feature called "Variable Valve Voicing" that lets you adjust the
amount of tube signal relative to clean solid state signal,
independent of the input and output levels.

-tim

Hi, Tim.  The Tube MP does have in and out levels; now you've got me
curious to try it out again. Like I said, it was awhile ago that I
thought it didn't do the trick -- maybe I need to re-visit and spend
more time "dialing it in."  For sure it doesn't formally
have "variable valve voicing" which sounds like a great idea as you
describe it.  I'll re-visit and report back in.  Be well.   --John
K.