Re: [Harp-L] Re: Art Tube MP

Jim McBride wrote:
<I had an Art Tube MP but almost never used it, and eventually sold it. <I originally bought it thinking I would use it to get tube distortion <straight into the PA without having to carry an amp around. It can do <this but I found the sound much too bright for harmonica. It definitely <needed a tone adjustment to kill the high end. My impression is that it <was made for vocals and the highs and mids were emphasized - exactly <the opposite of what's needed for harp.

I want to emphasize again that whatever the strengths or weaknesses of the Tube MP where its use as a substitute for a tube amp are concerned, it is a very good front end for recording at a very, very reasonable price. My solo recording of the "Star Spangled Banner", and the harmonica parts for my song "Hurt and Far", both of which you can hear at http://www.broadjam.com/rhunter, were recorded through an Audio Technica AT4050 CM5 large diaphragm condensor mic into a Tube MP. It's not the best preamp you can get, but it's plenty good enough to make keeper tracks, and it has more body in its sound than the preamps built into a typical low-end mixer.

I have also used the Tube MP as a front end to my signal processing chain for harmonica, and I've found that some of my finicky effects pedals are generally pretty happy when they get their signal from the MP, as opposed to a mic.

In short, it's a worthy piece of gear, and a bargain at its current street price of well under $100, that being the price I paid for mine years ago.

Regards, Richard Hunter
hunterharp.com
latest mp3s always at http://www.broadjam.com/rhunter