[Harp-L] blues harp for young kids

You mention giving a hour an hour of playing then 1/2 hour of teaching, rotated for two hours.

  I suggest setting up a rule where when your hand goes up, the  harps go to the desk.  If they cannot follow that rule, the harp will be taken away.  Follow thru.  Advise student if behaves, harp will be returned in 10 minutes.

  Then I suggest an opening song, then immediately into teaching them.  Work for 15 minutes, then play 1 song.  Then return to  them playing.  15 minutes hands on, 1 song repeat until done.

  I would recommend asking students WHERE it is appropriate to play music.  Clubs, plays, church on stage, parties, playground, movies, commercials, recording studios, etc.  Spend a minute on where it is not appropriate (school, home when other people are sleeping or studying, church in pews, supermarkets, etc.)

  I would talk about music for fun and music for money and that they don't have to be mutually exclusive.  I would talk about which  of these playing places could pay money.   These kids are barraged with the "what do you want to be when you grow up?" question.  To give a kid an answer of "a musician", even if it is a temporary solution, can really help esteem.

  I would talk about why do you play music.  I would focus on being happy and helping others to feel happy.  I would also explain how sometimes learning in school is boring.  Then I would ask what is their favorite subject.  Then I would point out how that subject is never boring and they even look forward to it.  I would then explain how if they like music, music will become something they could forever learn about and always be excited about.

  If you do get a guitarist, I recommend a jam session.  Everyone plays together at the beginning, then one at a time, you conducting.  Then say "Everyone plays on the big finish!" and jam together.
  Have fun!
  Michael Rubin
  Michaelrubinharmonica.com