From: harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Vern Smith
Sent: Thursday, May 03, 2007 7:51 PM
To: Leonardo Kenji Shikida; Harp-L
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] magnets

Magnets placed near the reeds, if they have any effect at all, would
tend to
dampen the vibration of the reed.  The reed is a conductor. The magnetic

field induces electrical currents in a moving conductor...the reed.
There
is no large loop but there could be small loops within the reed in which

case the currents are called "parasitics". The effect may be very small
if
the field is weak. The currents would convert mechanical vibrational
energy
into heat.

The main effect would be that you would have to blow a bit harder to get
the
same amplitide of reed vibration.  Magnets and shorted coils are placed
in
micro balances to dampen their oscillations.

Magnets, because of their unseen fields, are favorites for scamming the
non-technical consumer, especially the ones sold to be worn near the
body to
allegedly alleviate pain.  If the body responded to magnetic fields, an
MRI
scan would be instantly fatal because the field strengths used are
orders of
magnitude greater than those from little permanent magnets.    If one
has an
implanted pacemaker, then he must avoid strong magnetic fields because
that
is how information is transmitted to change the pacemaker modes and
settings.

Vern
Visit my harmonica website www.Hands-Free-Chromatic.7p.com