Re: Re: [Harp-L] magnets

On 5/4/07, John Balding <John.Balding@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Re: The magnet "strips" in the cover plates of the new Hering Golden
Blow

Kenji wrote:
" now seriously, any ideas what is it for?"

Seriously, I think that the magnets are 99.9% marketing hype and .1%
contributory to any effect.

I agree with the previous post with regards to air pressure/playing
intensity have a far greater impact on reed movement/behavior than a
tiny magnetic force.

Additionally, electric guitar pickups are made of magnets set very close
to the steel strings of the guitar. Yet, I have never read or heard of
anyone claiming that certain pickups "reduce string vibration too much"
or otherwise adversely or positively affect the movement of the strings.
(True, some pickups are more sensitive than others and may amplify the
sustaining strings longer, but the pickup itself is not actually
affecting the strings' range of motion.)

On a different "note" - If the magnetic strips are removable - It may be
that these strips are there to dampen (darken) the sound and not
intended to have any effect on the bendability/playability of the reeds
at all. The thickness of the magnetic material would act to dampen a
bright-sounding harmonica. The fact that it happens to be magnetic is
for the simplicity of installation/removal (no screws, glue, etc.) and
the reduction of an inhalation hazard (again, from screws, glue, etc.)
However, if the player preferred a brighter sounding harp, the strip
could simply be pulled off.

that's exactly my though too.

[]

Kenji