[Harp-L] Harmonica MasterClass Workshop

I wasn't able to attend the entire 3 day workshop this year, but I did manage to sneak down on Saturday, take a class from Dennis Gruenling and attend the History of the Blues concert. This is a concert Dave Barrett has been working on with various people for 3 years. Joe Filisko did 50+ minutes of absolutely masterful pre-war blues - he researched and studied a variety of artists, and presented their styles note for note from recordings dating back to the early 20's. This included a lot of names I forget, as well as Sonny Terry and Sonny Boy Williamson (I). Dave Barrett himself (who is a MONSTER harmonica player) spent the next 50+ minutes showcasing post-war blues, performing tunes by Little Walter, Big Walter, George Harmonica Smith and others. Again, "note for note, technique for technique, lick for lick". The School of the Blues band backed these guys up in appropriate style as well. The last "set" represented modern blues and was performed by Dennis Gruenling. Along the way, we were treated to some extra performances by guests Rick Estrin, Gary Smith, Michael Peloquin and Kinya Pollard. Not a bad show for an evening. It was amazing to watch not only these fine players, but also 40 or 50 rabid harmonica playing brothers and sisters all with their jaws on the floor throughout the night.

If you haven't had the chance to attend a Harmonica Masterclass Workshop, this would be a good one to catch when it is near your town. Dave is, in my opinion (and that of just about everyone who has ever met him) probably the best teacher of harmonica that the world has to offer.

/Greg

http://www.blowsmeaway.com
http://www.bluestateband.net