Re: [Harp-L] Real creativity,,,warning,,WAY TOO LOOONNG

Brilliant, absolutely brilliant.
smo-joe

On May 7, 2007, at 1:12 AM, Bob Laughlin wrote:

SORRY,,but I always liked the idea of the "long version",,

I'm sure that your gripe with "canned repetition" is legitimate, as
legitimate as those who like to hear the same song played in the same way as
it was when they first heard it. The legitimacy of your desire to hear
something freshly interpreted is based on everyone's sad experience of
having heard something played "as originally written", but without soul,
without enthusiasm, without heart. There are nuances to playing something
from the heart that are perhaps there when first performed, that over time
may get old to the performer, for instance on a night when the artist has
had a difficult set of circumstances, and is just going through the motions,
with no particular love for the audience OR the music, but has to perform
just to fulfill his/her contractual obligations. Then, there are those
performers who have become relatively well-known, made some large cash, and
have no particular desire this night to "give it their all". That's
unfortunate, if you happen to have paid some "large cash" to attend.

big snip, but JUST as valuable