-----Original Message-----
From: Ansel.Barnum@xxxxxxx

Piazza is a great example--one I had in mind but refrained from mentioning. For
many years I idolized his playing which seemed to be so innovative and original.
Back in the young and naive years I listened to his solos on CDs and thought he
was coming up with that stuff off the top of his head, which blew me away. Then
I began attending his concerts and hearing the same solos reproduced note for
note. Sure, they were still wonderful, but my disillusioned ears were less
awestruck. Instead of hearing a great improviser, they heard the work of great
composer whose solos were merely extensions to the song he wrote. It was like
discovering that an eloquent speaker was scripted.

Yes, it's still all good music in the end, but innovation--be it preconceived or
improvised--is what defines the artist and compels the listener.