[Harp-L] Rockers in the Rockies

Since Rockers in the Rockies just ended, and I live two minutes away from
the venue, I'll take the honor of being the first Rocker to report on the
event.  It was an intensive and exhausting three days of instruction,
interaction, and jamming.  I have to say that it's really a dream come true
to have a weekend seminar like this filling the void between Gindick's camps
and the theory-heavy Barrett classes.  The instructors (Jason Ricci, Michael
Rubin, and Chris Michalek) all come from the modern school of harmonica
playing, even though two of them are heavily steeped in the blues tradition.
Chris brought a totally different background and philosophy that helped give
us a breadth of musical perspective not usually associated with this
instrument.

We started with extensive introductions from every single attendee, then
broke into smaller groups for lessons on various topics from the
instructors.  Jason taught scale intervals, Chris taught positions, and
Michael taught theory.  Paul Davies also helped out by teaching us about
octaves and tongue articulation, and Ronnie Shellist taught some groups but
unfortunately I didn't get that lesson because he couldn't stay for the
second day.  There were also lessons for the entire group that covered harp
gear (amps, mics, and effect pedals), harp customization, and overblowing.
One of the main parts of the weekend was that every person got to call out a
song and play with Jason's band, New Blood.  We learned how to describe
different grooves to the rhythm section, how to name chord progressions, how
to count the tempo you want, and how to give signals to the band for
break-downs and endings.

My personal experience:
- I gained some confidence in using 3rd position and "unusual" positions and
got some sample tunes to practice them.
- I was reminded of how scale intervals can lead to new styles of playing
and better solos.  (I had already learned some of this from Jason before the
seminar.)
- I finally got a grasp on some music theory elements that had confused me
for years.  Now I understand how a scale is put together and how it can be
moved from key to key.
- I picked up some new tips on embossing and arcing that I can't wait to try
out on my own harps.
- I got more ideas for how to incorporate overblows into my playing and some
songs on which to practice OBs.
- I learned A TON about how to communicate with a band and how to be an
effective bandleader.
- I realized that I need to stop growling when I sing, because it hurts my
throat.

Now I've got several pages of handwritten notes, plus numerous theory
handouts from Michael Rubin, plus hours of audio recordings of the lessons,
all of which will take me months if not years to incorporate into my
practices and playing.  I also want to point out our great group of
attendees (Rockers), who constantly helped each other out with troublesome
issues, supported each other during the performances, and were just
generally friendly and enthusiastic to get the most out of this weekend.
The guys in the band were also phenomenal (and patient!), and of course I
have to thank our excellent instructors.  Part of the fun was just listening
to these guys play beautifully all weekend long.  Thanks Jason, Chris, and
Michael!  (I know you'll all three read this.)

If you missed Rockers in the Rockies or just want a second dose of this
stuff (I know I do!), there will be another one this October, still nestled
under the mountains in Boulder, Colorado.  Details will be forthcoming, but
the murmurs I've heard so far are very exciting!

Jonathan Metts