Subject: Re: [Harp-L] re: Carey Bell

Steve responds to Rainbowjimmy about Carey Bell:

From: SteveWS4F@xxxxxxx

In a message dated 5/8/2007 8:27:07 A.M. Eastern Daylight  Time,
rainbowjimmy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

I  bought  my first chromatic harp immediately after seeing Carey  play.
The  world is a poorer place without  him.

"It certainly is.  The last time I saw Carey about a  year or so ago,  after
he
had put on an awesome show, it was  obvious he wasn't feeling  too great, but
he was his usual open,  friendly, sunny self.  After I had  visited with him
awhile,  I told him I wanted to have my picture taken with  him.  His  reply-
why
would you want to do that?.  Because you're the   greatest harp player in the
world, I responded (and, to me, he was).  He looked  at me and  resolutely
replied- No, I'm not- but I  will be, just you wait  and see.

How cool is that- this man  who had been an integral part of harp
development
and history  since the fifties still had goals and ambitions for
improvement,
not to mention modesty.

The world has lost a magical harp  player and a truly great man.

Steve Adams."

.....LOVELY story, Steve..and that theme of inherent modesty  and continual
striving to improve is what I've noticed always  seems to separate the very
best of these great men from the boys. If  you notice, it's  those players who
astound us with their  abilities who really don't believe they've done all that
well in a  particular concert or show...always thinking it "could have been
better"..while more mediocre players boast about how good they  are.  Maybe a
lesson in there for the rest of us.  Very sad that  we've lost such a great
artist and humble man, when he still had miles to  go....

Elizabeth