[Harp-L] Re: Rockers in the Rockies ~ and Who customizes Chris' harps?

(snip)
Who does Chris' harp customization, if I may ask?  Same  question re all of
the guys at the conference, if I may.
ron

--------------------------------------

Chris customizes his own harps (and to my great delight, demonstrated on one
of mine), as do Jason and Michael, and all gave good reasons for doing so.
Jason explained that he's the one who knows best what he needs different
reeds to do in his playing. He spends extra time and care on the six hole (top and
bottom reeds, because they each affect each other), because he likes to
overblow the 6 blow a whole step UP (which he effortlessly demonstrated). Chris
also gives the 3 hole (again, top and bottom reeds) a lot of attention, because
the 3 is so useful, especially in a blues context, with the wide range of
available notes it offers). Michael has harps he sets up for the stuff that
requires (or likes) overblow notes, and other harps he intentionally leaves alone for
a raunchy blues attack.
That being said, of course they all appreciate and buy from others doing
custom work, because as Jason related, its just really fun to play a harp
someone's poured their heart and soul into, to appreciate the craftsmanship and
support the people who love and appreciate what the instrument is capable of. He
mentioned well regarded forefather of the craft, Richard Sleigh, and passed one
of his beautiful instruments around for a much appreciated closer look.
What an awesome opportunity and great time this weekend was. Special thanks
to all the teachers, each of whom provided his own unique insights,
perspectives and approaches, to both playing and teaching. Grateful "Woo woos" to fellow
"Rockers" who all did the same. It really opens up your perception of a
particular issue to hear three hugely talented and respected artists answering the
same question, saying in turn, "Oh yeah, I always do that,"  "I never do that",
and "Well, I do that when it's appropriate". It brings you back around to the
realization (and the essence of the "Rockers in the Rockies" harp camp):
"It's YOUR music, you can do what YOU want to do ,"   ~   and most important   ~
 "HERE'S HOW."

Thanks everyone, Blessings and Huge Thanks especially to Jason, and to Shawn,
Buckweed, Paul, Skinny and Marty, for patiently and enthusiastically backing
up 30-some different players across 3 evenings, with insight, humor, patience
and grace (you ain't seen nothin' till you've heard Shawn lay down a bass
groove while Weed tears of a Dick Dale run! Now THAT'S entertainment); More thanks
to Ron Levy, who went out of his way to deliver me through a torrential
midnight rainstorm Saturday night; and to everyone involved,
Well, let's just say "You Helped Me, Baby!".

On a related note: this evening, barely 24 hours after the camp officially
closed, playing on an unmodified (Hering Blues) E harp................Yep, I got
that overblow.     YESSS!

Life is good.

Jeff Gathercole
Denver CO