RE: [Harp-L] Re:Sonny Terry

Sonny Jr wrote:
If you look at the book the Fred Palmer wrote with Sonny's words, his discography at the end of the book is probably over 40 different sessions. The first I see is with Blind Boy Fuller: New York Dec 15, 1937. <etc> <snip>
As much as I like the Fred Palmer / Kent Cooper book on Sonny, the discography therein is missing huge chunks and leaves an awful lot to be desired. For the definitive discography, one need look no further than Chris Smith's book, "That's The Stuff: The Recordings of Brownie McGhee, Sonny Terry, Stick McGhee and J.C. Burris" (Housay Press, 1999.)

Chris's book is nearly 200 pages (8" x 10") of discographical information (plus nice bios and overviews,) and includes 100s of obscure sessions -- even including unreleased Library of Congress stuff and Brownie's sessions with Andy Griffith! Massive in scope, this labor-of-love is recommended to all fans of Sonny (and of blues harmonica.) Indispensable!

Tom Ball
Santa Babs