[Harp-L] my review of barrett workshop

I attended dave barrett's workshop and loved it. The training by some great
players who also know how to teach was superb....and the concert was
stunning...a four hour long harmonica player's dream come true...it went by like a
minute, and I'd buy the dvd, if there was one.

as for whether you can learn by studying the masters....come on...every
orchestra still plays beethoven..and brings something new to the table...and every
good student studies the masters and takes off on their own path to
creativity...

this may be sacrilige to some, but watching filisko, barrett, pollard,
gruenling and smith cover the greats...i'm not sure the greats could have done it
any better....these guys didn't put on an academic show, it was pure passion,
depth and tone.   And it wasn't done with clinking glasses and a smoke filled
bar, but in a good-sounding room on great equipment, chosen to catch the
subtleties of the original players...

I hope someone videoed some of it and can post it on youtube to assuage the
doubters....this was a really special night that everyone who appreciates
instrument would love.

brad kava

 See what's free at
http://www.aol.com.