[Harp-L] Discussion on Creativity Comments- was Harmonica MasterClass

First of all, please excuse the time lapse in responding - I just returned
from a 10 day trip in which my focus was on selling Olive Tapenade, not
posting to a harmonica list.

Here are some of the responses and my comments:

<<If they play something original and creative, it
might not be  any good. Why play second-rate stuff?

Music comes from the soul. You  either have it or your don't. If you don't
have it (99.9% of musicians) then  it pays to learn from the best and copy
until you get it right. Once in a  blue moon someone unique, original, and
inspiring will come along, but the  rest of us can't be that person. Nobody
has come along that can play with  the feeling of Little Walter, so it makes
sense to learn what he did. Just  my opinion.>>

Everyone has it - the trick is to access it. If you buy into that  "don't
have it (99.9%)", than you'll fulfill your own prophecy and short change
yourself. I prefer to live with the "everyone has it" reality. (Disclaimer -
"everyone has it" is not to be taken LITERALLY AND ETCHED IN STONE. There are  always
a few - and I do mean a few - that just can't get with the groove).

All of my students play with the feeling of Little Walter - they don't play
like Little Walter, but their attachment to their own feelings, once opened up
 with a creative encouragement, sounds just as true as Little Walter, since
they  are being true to themselves. When the students play like this, I always
tell  them that Kim Wilson would come up to them, shake their hand and tell
them how  he was moved.

<<Creativity comes from within, and not from  within most people. I think it
comes easier after the mechanics of playing  the instrument are learned and
perfected.>>

Creativity comes from within everyone. Everyone has the potential.

<<> This is the true fast
> track to creativity,  bypassing the years of "learn these solos note
> for note and eventually  you will get it" approach.

Is there a fast track to creativity? If so, is  it teachable?>>

Why yes, it is. I teach it all the time. Granted, it is a new and  radical
approach and seems to rattle some of the "traditional teacher's" (and  some
player's) cages, but that is merely their own insecurities giving  voice.

<<> Since most of these clinicians took this long route  themselves and/or
> know no other approach, it runs rampant throughout the  industry,
> unfortunately.

That's a pretty broad brush to splatter  an unspecified group whose
recent teaching you have not  witnessed.>>

Agreed, I haven't witnessed the recent teaching of Dave Barrett. I am  guilty
of assuming that he is still on his heavily academic approach of  learning by
recreating other's ideas. I do know how Joe Filisko teaches and  he is a big
proponent of learning solos note for note, one after the other, for  years,
until one finally "gets it".

Open RHETORICAL question to all of you (and you know who you are) who
disagree and even publicly/privately call me names for speaking out - are you
afraid, deep down inside, that you are NOT a truly creative person? That you  HAVE
to learn others' creative ideas by copying them before you can even begin  to
think that you have the ability to create on your own?

Well, I may just be blowing the lid off of a CLOSED MINDSET with what I say
and how I teach. Unfortunately, CLOSED MINDSETS have a tendency to defend
their  closed mindsets and even try shooting the messenger, something I never
could  understand. The proof is in the results. My students are happier and are
learning to believe in their creative selves much faster than when I used to
teach the old fashioned way - learn this solo, learn that solo, learn this
other  solo, and now, learn this solo and these licks note for note.

When you learn something note for note, the tendency is to want to perform
it that way, without the understand beneath it - that's what I did in my
formative years. Man, talk about anxiousness, sweaty armpits, dry mouth. I would
start the solo and from the first note, everything was scripted out, whether I
"felt it" or not. Heaven help me if I fell off the turnip truck and lost the
thread of notes. The perfection of reproducing what I'd memorized took all of
my  energy, time and effort. I wasn't even relaxed enough to actually listen
to  myself or the music happening around me. I missed out on a lot of fun.

Not once have I stated that learning solos note for note is bad. However,  to
make this the main thrust and focus in teaching is misdirected at best and
too time consuming at worst. Once my students get the confidence to believe in
their inner creativity and master a few rudimentary harmonica techniques,
they  are jamming within 6 months of beginning - and holding their own, at least
for 1  song at a jam session. They don't have stress over what they do. The
ideas come  to them organically and unfold as a flower blossoms. Of course,
these are not  virtuoso flights of improvisational genius, but they do hold the
attention of  the audience and ring true to the player. After this point, a song
or solo by an  OBDG is encouraged and examined from a different standpoint.
The student has a  firm understanding of form and content at this point and can
look at a "turn  around" idea from an Old Master in the midst of a long solo
and understand it  for what it is. They can pick and choose which aspect of
the solo they want to  grasp and add to their creative quiver of arrows. Usually
they won't want to  memorize the whole solo note for note - just add to their
pool of creativity. It  becomes much easier to understand how the ideas work
from this standpoint -  getting into the mindset of the creator to create
rather than trying to find  understanding from years of transcribing solos note
for note what is going  on.

Both approaches are valid. Both paths will lead  to musical creativity - one
takes years, the other takes  months.

You choose which path you prefer.

I happen to like the shorter one.

The Iceman