[Harp-L] creativity and learning

Mike wrote:

" I can't see being spiritual and creative by a copy/paste approach or in pre-planning solos (which is very different then arranged parts)."

Creativity and originality are not inherently good or bad. In some genres the desired effect is to play the same solo every time, with only minute variations to differentiate between performances--indeed, most rock went to this in the 70's and 80's. That is neither good nor bad, but an aesthetic which one may like or dislike. I don't see what any of this has to do with spirituality, but then I don't have much use for spirituality in general.

Moreover, there are many different types of creativity. One type is to create something once which you consider perfect and then repeat it (this could be considered the basis of most Western formal music, in some ways) another is through constant free improvisation for each performance. There is an infinite continuum in between (and other types as well). What there isn't at any point is a greater level of creativity or any sort of superiority to either approach. They are simply different approaches to music (or art in general), one which emphasizes quantity of output the other which emphasizes precision of output. Both are creative in nature, but it is how that creativity is harnessed that makes the difference. Neither is superior to the other in any abstract sense, though some individuals will obviously have personal preferences one way or another.

As for learning, I have always been of the opinion that the best way to learn is from studying those who came before. This is true for most any subject, and no less musically. I was a tympanist, and I suppose I could have "develope[d] pathways to increase [my] musical connection" but if I hadn't studied how to properly play the instrument in a technical sense and how to play the instrument in specific pieces (preferably by listening to, gasp, other tympanists) I would have made a glorious racket, but wouldn't have been able to play Beethoven very well (not that I could anyway, I never practiced enough). And these go hand in hand. Thus, I would suggest that someone learning to play the harmonica should go through and listen to those who came before, and yes, copy what they played. I didn't do that for years, and it wasn't until I began putting such an effort in that I finally learned more than just what the instrument could physically do, but how the various parts can be put together in a musical context. This is a far cry from being an imitator, though there is nothing inherently wrong in that. Rather, for wherever you want to go musically you need a solid foundation of knowledge, and the best way to get that, IMO, is from listening to and learning from those who already spent decades with the instrument.

For example, I think it is quite significant that while Sun Ra and his Arkestra were amongst the most free and avant-garde musicians of their day, they were also a great big band capable of executing straight arrangements and swinging hard as well as any of their contemporaries. That's one of the reasons I think they succeed so often where others in the same genres did not (though I should note that I would probably find more successes in the free/avant-garde jazz of the time than many, though not always the ones people expect). Similarly, I tend to be moved more by the harmonica players who have learned older styles and then gone to use these techniques and such in new ways rather than those who just started their own thing. Of course, this is just the method which I feel tends to work more often both in terms of individual musical progress and in terms of end quality of product; others disagree, as is always the case in matters of personal taste.

()() JR "Bulldogge" Ross () () & Snuffy, too:) `----'