[Harp-L] Rockers in the Rockies

After attending Rockers in the Rockies, I have to speak out on just how great this event was.  Mojo Red posted an excellent detailed note on this, so I won't go into that level of detail.  For folks that are skimming this note, I'll just say up front, you owe it to yourself to go to the next one of these events (planned for October).

Jason and the musicians he assembled are not only top musicians, but excellent teachers as well.  I was hoping to come away with some new ideas to help take my playing and musicianship to the next level.  I came away with many.  This is information and instruction you won't find anywhere else.  Also, the teachers and the environment was very supportive.  The sessions playing with Jason's band are a good example of this.  Each attendee got to lead Jason's band in a song / style of their choosing.  This was part of the instruction on how to communicate with and lead a band (starting, stopping, breaks, etc).  Everyone was nervous, but everyone gave performances whose heart and energy transcended any missed note.  You couldn't do that without a supportive environment.  And, as Jason mentioned, performing is addictive.

The teaching setup had everyone attending each session (we were broken up into groups).  This is different from Filisko's teaching setup at SPAH where you can wander in and out of sessions.  I feel this was important.  I came away from each session with insights and information I value, even if I thought ahead of time that might not be the case.  I heard a couple of folks say something to the effect of "Theory's not my thing so I would have skipped Michael Rubin's session, but I'm glad I went because now I see what's going on."  As a blues oriented player, I was wary of what I could learn from Chris Michalek in a single session.  Chris had us take turns playing against a Bm groove that his bass player and drummer laid down.  Through that simple exercise he got across, quite effectively, the importance and power of listening to the band, and interacting with the rest of the music through phrases (that don't have to be complicated) and space.  Locking your music in with the band's groove.  Jason gave a session on applying patterns to scales to come up with new phrase ideas, one of the powerful techniques he applies in his playing.  Paul Davies gave me a new appreciation of traditional music on the harp, not only how good it can sound (if you play it like Paul), but how good it is for my technique in general.  And, Ronnie Shellist brought me back to the blues, as we went over various techniques and 3rd position.

Jason, if you are lurking on harp-l,  thanks again for putting together this event (and thanks Brady for organizing it).  Thanks to the teachers and band members (ok starting to sound like the academy awards)...

- Dave Klein