Re: [Harp-L] long slot short slot -- was: Suzuki Firebreath Reed Update

>Thus, for any reed length and frequency combination
>there is a specific reed profile. That means that at
>Hohner, for instance, there are about 1500
>different drawers with 1500 different reeds which
>have to be managed so that each slot in each harp in
>each key gets an optimized reed for that note.

I've a suspicion that there is an optimized reed
length and/or profile for each various pitch that
would be most responsive and offer smooth, stable
bends. Thus, it might be determined that for A440 the
dimensions of the 3 blow as found on a 'D' harp are
better than, say the 5 blow as found on a Low F harp.

Ideally, reed plates would then be stamped with the
optimal dimensions for each pitch rather than simply
linearly shortening the lengths as you mobe up the
holes.

Cost effictiveness is the obvious obstacle here but I
never considered that there were 1500 drawers of
reeds. Is that still cheaper than having maybe 14 to
18 different reed plates and little more than 40 reeds
rather than two slot length plates and 1500 reeds?

Paul