[Harp-L] Re: Top 10 living diatonic players

I am deeply disappointed that the name Corky Siegel did not show up among
the 50 or so Top 10 Living Diatonic players mentioned by the list, unless I
missed his obituary, in which case I would be even more disappointed.

I am also disappointed that Jimmie Fadden's name did not appear, but that's
a little more understandable, since Jimmie is not a classic blues'er.  But
overlooking Corky is not permissible.  He was doing Butterfield before
Butterfield.

Finally, I am sorry Mayall's name was mentioned only in reference, not on an
official list.

Hey, I think Jason, Dennis, Joe, Rob, Chris, Carlos, Rosco, Adam, Jimi, et
al are great and at the forefront of their art.  But the list was top ten
LIVING diatonic players.  Those guys have plenty of time to make that list.
The others, maybe not so much.  Seriously, I read the topic as "historical
icons still with us", kind of like top 10 living painters or historians.
Implicit is a deep historical record of work influencing future generations,
but still active.  In that regard I can include Cotton, Wilson, Piazza,
Branch, Levy, et al.  Tom Ball is kind of borderline, but I think he's still
got 30 or so years left to prove the test of time (ha ha - one of my fav's
BTW).

So that's my take.  If you could see someone in concert tomorrow, knowing
well it may be the last chance you might get, who would it be.  I missed
Carey Bell, but did get to see Mayall last year.  One of the reason's I went
was knowing I wouldn't have that many more opportunities.  Hopefully with
Jason, I'll have many more opportunities.

Fred S