Re: [Harp-L] what is ODBG ? (was creativity)

Hi Fernando. Thanks again for our talk on the phone the other day, about the
reedplates. Thanks for your fair and friendly representation of Hohner,
especially here on harp-l.

I'm with you, Fernando. But I also think that most Brazilians I know, such
as yourself, are fun-loving people, who take very little offensively, as
they are always happy, willing to give others the benefit of the doubt. For
that matter, I hold them in the highest regard.

I'm also of the opinion that people need to lighten up a bit, and accentuate
the positive, and think people should be less thin-skinned, and able to
express humor, especially when there is nothing intended of a racist or
otherwise negative element. I'm certain that the expression in question was
not intended with any particular prejudice in mind, but whenever a POTENTIAL
exists for racism or disrespect, there are those who would find opportunity
to assume a posture of outrage in order to be politically correct in
"putting others in their place". There may be more interpersonal dynamics
here, underlying the accusation of disrespect, than is readily apparent, as
those involved may perhaps have an online history of acrimony.

Very unfortunate. We have to be extremely politically correct in this day,
to avoid the constantly attentive ethics squad.

Personally, I don't care if anyone makes me the brunt of their humor, unless
there is an underlying falsehood being propagated in the humor. In this
case, there is none. I recently jumped one of my supervisors at work, and a
couple of co-workers as well, over insinuations of having had an easy life,
being caucasian, born here, good looking, and living on a pension. In
reality, my life has been anything but "easy", but it's a stereotype that
some others like to use in order to illegitimately rise up the
socio-political-economic ladder, without going through the process of
working their way up. Some are always looking for an advantage over others.
Having been oppressed, they simply wish to continue the chain by oppressing
others, instead of legitimately gaining the admiration of their peers or
their target audience through persistent excellence.

But that's just one of my personal gripes.

I don't think any of those on the list of "deceased blues artists" would
have any objections. Perhaps the remaining relatives might, though, if they
had nothing better to focus on.

In this context, however, I don't think you'll find anyone willing to
continue using the acronym, ODGB. It just isn't a battle that seems worth it
in the long run.